Twilight's Last Night--Chapter 12


last time

"I'm afraid that won't work for us," I found myself saying. "Thanks for the invite, though."

Evan shrugged. "You're loss." He added under his breath, "Loser." He nodded towards his brother. "Let's go, bro."

They skidded off down the pavement, leaving me and Farren in a smoking cloud of exhaust. Man, I hated diesels.

"I hate those weirdoes," glared Farren.

"We're better off not going," I agreed.

Chapter 12

I practiced crazily that night for the play. I wanted to have as many of my lines memorized as possible before the practice the next day. Every time I just paused and thought about the fact that I was playing Romeo in Romeo and Juliet, I almost wanted to puke. Especially since Sabrina Marks was the one playing Juliet. And who was Evan playing again? Oh, right, a cat. An evil cat. I gulped. My evil cat.

I stared at the script again. The scenes that Evan was in, I was in. Except for the ones where he was helping to betray us to our parents. (The kids version of Romeo and Juliet was a lot different. I'd flipped to the back to see if we died. We didn't--we just got separated, Mr. Tiddles the evil cat has a change of heart, we convince our parents we need to be together, and we get married. Lovely.)

I was feeling so nervous about having to be in so many scenes with the awful Evan and Sabrina that I finally picked up my phone and called Farren.

"Hello?" Farren's voice on the other end answered.

"Farren," I started, "I'm freaked out because I have to be in like all of these scenes with Sabrina and Evan and they're so awful and..."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Farren interrupted. "Just slow down a little."

I took a deep breath. "Farren, I'm like in all of the scenes with Sabrina and Evan!"

There was a pause on the other end. "I see your dilemma."

"I know," I groaned. "I'm really worried they're going to try to make me look bad or something. What if they end up trading parts around because like Evan trips me or something like that? That would be awful."

"They're not going to," Farren told me decidedly. "Everything's going to be fine. If Evan and Sabrina ever do something, just tell me, and I'll go and kick their butts."

I laughed. It felt good to laugh, the stress sinking away. "Thanks so much, Farren. You're the best."

I could just imagine her big grin on the other end. "You're welcome."

"'Night," I told her.

"Later," she replied.

I hung up. Staring at the script, I smiled. That was enough for tonight. I threw it onto my desk and ran downstairs to join the family.

1 comment:

be nice ∞ be kind ∞ be a hero

Powered by Blogger